Come visit us!
IACP Conference Expo Hall – Booth #5511
Saturday, October 14, 12pm – 5pm
Sunday, October 15, 10am – 5pm
Monday, October 16, 10am – 4pm
Portal to Another Dimension:
Enhancing eLearning with the COPS Office
Location: Room 6D
Date: Monday, October 16, 8:30am
Duration: 1 hour
- Jeremy Kommel-Bernstein, Policy Analyst; U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (DC)
- Sheila Gunderman, Director of Programs; National Center for Policing Innovation (VA)
- Rob Chapman, Deputy Director; U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (DC)
- Chuck Miller, Advanced Training Manager; Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZ)
- Stephen Boehm, Deputy Chief; Metro Transit Police Department (DC)
- Christine Frank, Highway Safety Specialist; National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (DC)
Despite low budgets and staffing, the public is demanding more and better training for police. Using COPS Office training, the Washington Metro Transit (WMATA) Police Department has been able to meet high standards for training while maximizing the effectiveness and impact of training funds, mandating certain trainings for all agency staff while selectively assigning others to specific units and personnel. This panel will examine WMATA’s use of the COPS Training Portal, how it has enhanced their staff’s understanding of community policing principles and other vital tools, and how that effect can be shared across agencies of all sizes and types. Panelists will also discuss the importance of developing high quality, engaging eLearning courses to ensure long-term effectiveness and impact.
The COPS Training Portal exists to directly support your training efforts by providing a no-cost means for entire law enforcement organizations, training academies, and individual officers to access high-quality and engaging materials and information to enhance the training already being conducted at the local level.
what we offer
Get started in less than 5 minutes!
It’s as simple as creating an account and selecting the courses and resources that best fit your needs.
Self-paced curriculum that is easy to start, stop, and resume based on the demands of your day.
Deepen knowledge and skills, learn about promising practices, and network with peers.
The COPS Training Portal serves as a gateway to a variety of multimedia community policing resources.