Changing Perceptions: A Fair and Impartial Policing Approach
Changing Perceptions: A Fair and Impartial Policing Approach, an eLearning course, provides an opportunity for learners to assume the roles of three different law enforcement officers in an interactive video-based simulation, make decisions for these officers, and experience the consequences of their choices. The modules train officers on the effect of implicit bias and provide them with the information and skills they need to reduce and manage their biases.
LEARNING HOURS: 1 HOUR
Arizona POST Approved Course
AZPOST Approval 22-321
AZPOST does not require the standard approval form for this course; however, if you would like one, please contact AZPOST directly at [email protected].
This simulation-based course defines implicit bias and dramatizes through interactive scenarios that policing based on bias can be unsafe, ineffective, and unjust. The opening video serves as an introduction to the concept of implicit bias, while the three modules focus separately on safe, effective, and just policing decisions and behavior.
By allowing officers to experience the same encounter from two perspectives (officer and possible suspect) simultaneously, this course provides learners with an insight into the biases that some members of the community may harbor toward police and why those biases exist.
Law enforcement personnel.
This tuition-free online training was developed by WILL Interactive and was originally supported by cooperative agreement 2016-CK-WXK-015 by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS).
- Recognize that bias is a normal human attribute—even well-intentioned people have bias
- Articulate the fundamental concepts of the science of human bias
- Describe how unconscious or implicit bias works in the human mind
- Describe the potential impact of bias on officers’ perceptions and behavior
- Articulate the impact biased policing has on community members
- Articulate the impact of biased policing on law enforcement organizations
- Apply skills for reducing biases
- Analyze options with a fair and impartial policing lens
WILL Interactive is a US-based private company that develops online learning training simulations that confront the challenges facing the military, law enforcement, education, finance, and healthcare.